Tuesday, September 30, 2008

9/28: Wisconsin BBQ



I spent this past Sunday getting to know a whole extension of relatives I have never met before. It was quite an experience -- everyone was welcoming and friendly and I definitely got a taste of the Midwest, even though everyone was Asian. On our way back to Illinois, we stopped by a farm owned by a guy named Larry. Wearing a narrow-brimmed canvas hat and sporting a gray grizzly beard that reached his chest, he showed us the remaining crop left from the season. Everything looked so delicious. He called his goods "as organic as it can get" without the certification. I can't really describe the day in words...It was very home-y and out of my comfort zone.




















Notice his blaring farmer's tan and his kick-ass boots. They define who he is or at least what I knew of him from the few hours we spent on his farm.

I sort of wish I brought a pumpkin home, but I'm not sure what I would have done with it.

No comments: